DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor. Years of experience with diabetes, both conventional treatments and diet treatments.
24257177

My period was three weeks late. Between when it was due and

Customer Question

Hi. My period was three weeks late. Between when it was due and when it started I started to feel ill. I had light headness, anxiety, weakness and sensations in my arms and legs. These symptoms have continued. I had regular blood tests which were OK. Could these symptoms be related to my period?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you are pregnant this could account for your symptoms.

If your period has started again and you are not pregnant, such symptoms can be related to

anxiety

excessive weight loss or gain

thyroid problems [and these are not typically tested for on routine blood work]

Liver or kidney disease.

Other hormonal problems [an adrenal panel and sex hormone panel are needed].

Regular blood tests cover liver and kidney disease, if a urinalysis was also done.

They don't cover the rest.

I would talk to your doctor again.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not pregnant. My period was three weeks late. What do you think is the most likely cause?
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Statistically, hormone imbalance.

this is the most common reason, and the most often ignored.

You should at least have

sex hormone panel

thyroid panel

adrenal panel

SHBG

Your GP can order these

An up to date endocrinologist can help you if your GP can not.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.

Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

I have enabled the rating system. Please click a positive at the top of the page, the rating scale.

If you have any problems let me know[ this is how we are paid by justanswer].