Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I have acetic and have been gaining weight. I also have a…

Customer Question
I have acetic and have...
I have acetic and have been gaining weight. I also have a lot of gas What do you suggest to deal with these problems?
Is there any benefit to taking a prebiotic if I start taking a probiotic. I am 75.Does eating apple and broccoli create more gas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Endocrinology
2/22/2016
Endocrinologist: DocPhilMD, Internist replied 2 years ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Internist

any other medical issues?

I have a large cyst on my kidney which will be tested. I have some weakness in my heart, swollen abdomen and legs.
i didn't receive your response

What is acetic? You mean ascites?

We need to find out why you are having ascites

That is a serious problem

why are you having this?

Please step out of this question. I want to talk with some other doctor
Endocrinologist: Dr. David, Other replied 2 years ago
Dr. David, Other

This is Dr. David

ascities in the abdomen is from a cancer in your liver or peritoneum or severe inflammation of your liver from hepatitis liver inflammation.

this ascities fluid will cause the abdomen to swell up and be every large.

this ascities fluid can be drained out of the abdomen with a needle.

taking a probiotic will not stop the ascities.

not eating apples or broccoli will not help either.

are you willing to see a doctor get get some of this ascities fluid drained out by a needle to see what might be causing the fluid?

I am not sure if this is my condition. My internist didn't tell me. My psychiatrist told me i have it. I am going to go for an MRI next week to see if a large cyst(3 inches) on my kidney is the cause. Any other suggestions about dealing with the fluid? How much water can I drink per day?Thanks

I see.

then we have to wait for the MRI scan to get more information to see if you really have ascities fluid in your abdomen then.

you should drink. 2 liters of water per day at least.

drinking water won't put more water or fluid within your belly.

taking a probiotic can help, but can take 6 months to improve the bacteria flora in your bowels to help with digestion.

many patients age 75 have excessive gas from drinking milk and are lactose intolerant.

I would keep a food diary of what you eat everyday and see what foods cause worse gas and bloating symptoms for you.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com