Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have an elevated cortisol of 27 in the pm and 51 in the

Customer Question

Hi, I have an elevated cortisol of 27 in the pm and 51 in the am...
could you please tell me what is the normal range and why so elevated??
thank you so much
Elizabeth
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have normal thyroid panel and not menopausal -- I have a new tremor. I am a nurse practitioner and have never felt this way -- wired...I am not depressed or anxious mentally -- but physically I show the signs of - Ive had a recent bout of afib and htn. I suppose was transient.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Although the normal range may vary slightly from one lab to another, the normal range for morning cortisol is usually about 7-28 mcg/dl and the normal range for pm cortisol is about 2-18 mcg/dl.

The primary concern when the cortisol level is elevated is Cushing syndrome, in which the adrenals are overactive. However, since cortisol is also a generic stress hormone, the diagnosis is usually not made based solely on cortisol levels. The usual next step would be to perform a dexamethasone suppression test to see if the cortisol levels will decrease after provision of a medicinal steroid.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

If I can help with any future questions, I can be reached directly through my profile at www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-DrDLove/