Endocrinology

Ask an endocrinologist. Get answers to endocrinology questions.

Ask a Doctor,

I'm 58 female. I quit teaching almost 3 yrs ago because I…

Customer Question
Hi, I'm 58 female...

Hi, I'm 58 female. I quit teaching almost 3 yrs ago because I have pain in my neck and shoulder that, at times, is hard to bear. I have had what I call sinking spells where I feel lightheaded and fast heartbeat, with a need to eat something for the past few years. I also have had a cough that I feel in my throat for 2 or 3 years. I also have lymphedema in my legs. They get really sore and tired after about 2 hrs on my feet. The first orthopedic I went to for my shoulder said that I have a slap tear, but that my pain is disproportionate to my pain. He wouldn't operate. For the next two years, I had shots in my shoulder from a pain doctor that managed my pain. I went to get a second opinion from another orthopedic doctor. During the MRI of my spine and shoulder, they found a 22ml nodule on my thyroid that they wanted me to have checked before I have shoulder surgery for the slap tear. I had ultra sound which showed several large nodules on both sides of the thyroid. They found one on the right side, same side of pain in neck and shoulder, that was hard. It was not the largest one. They did a FNA on the one hard nodule. Just got results and it showed that it was benign. I see an endocrinologist on the 29th of this month. My shoulder surgery is scheduled for March 10. I am really concerned about having shoulder surgery if there is any chance that my thyroid nodules are causing the pain in my right neck and shoulder. What are the chances that he will recommend a thyroidectomy after the negative biopsy? Should I postpone the shoulder surgery altogether until we are sure that the thyroid is not the culprit? I have sever pain at the moment in my neck and shoulder. The pain in the neck is in the muscle around and directly behind the thyroid. It does go into the shoulder and steroid shots in the shoulder have alleviate most of the pain for a period of time in the past year or so. It is a risky thing to have shoulder surgery for this at my age, since the risk of having more pain after the surgery is there. I can not carry out daily activities like cleaning and cooking. I can't work as a teacher because of the pain and the leg issues. What do you think?

Doctor's Assistant: OK. The Endocrinologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else the Endocrinologist should be aware of?

The person it said would help is not an endocrinologist, that is why I am hesitating

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Endocrinology
2/18/2016
Endocrinologist: dr abid, Doctor replied 2 years ago
dr abid
dr abid, Doctor

Hi there ...

Thank you for your question ...

As far as initial delay in surgery is concerned it is because just to check the nature of thyroid nodulre whether this is benign or malignant , as report of FNAC showed that this is benign lesion , so you should proceed for shoulder surgery , becuase pain of thyroid nodule if there is localized to thyroid area and not in shoulder or usually donot radiate to other area .

Therefore movement of neck and shoulder aggravates pain so culprit is not the thyroid but shoudler so you shouldnot delay and proceed for surgery .

Regards ***** ***** luck .

Please rate my answer as good service .

Thanks .