DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor. Years of experience with diabetes, both conventional treatments and diet treatments.
24257177

I have Hashimoto's Disease and have been on Synthroid for

Customer Question

I have Hashimoto's Disease and have been on Synthroid for this since 2009. I have been on my current dose of Synthroid 175mcg for about a year. I recently had labs done and my TSH is 0.07, T4 is 1.99, and t3 is 2.97. I feel the best I ever have since being diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have no symptoms of being hyper, my only symptoms are feeling cold and hair loss. I have been hyper once before and had all the symptoms of it, so I do know what this feels like. They decreased my dose after I went hyper and my TSH went to 13.98 and I felt miserable for well over a year until they got my TSH under 5.0, and even then I still had hypo symptoms. My Dr. wants me to decrease my dose of Synthroid to 150 mcg, however, after the last nightmare of decreasing my dosage, I am hesitant to do so. In your opinion, should I decrease my dose or am I fine? Thank you for your response.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 1 year ago.

Hello

To 150 is a minimal decrease.

I would do it, check the TSH in 8 weeks and monitor how you feel.

OK, so that is an initial answer….

Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.