How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Other
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 45949
Experience:  Experienced physician, undergraduate studies at MIT, studied Engineering, qualified to answer your questions.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a type 2 diabetic since 1979.g now 67 years old) i am

Customer Question

I am a type 2 diabetic since 1979.g now 67 years old) i am on insulin and my latest A1cwas 8.5. Experienced a small stroke 4 years ago, I have had eye surgeries ad now have 90degrees peripheral vision and substantial foot neuropathy foot neuropathy .
My biggest problem is my balance.
I believe, amongst other issues, is my lack of arch on my feet created by Charcot foot but every time I tell a foot doc or therapist they don't get it.
Are ther other medical specialists who might offer other suggestions for relief of balance issues ?
Thank You
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

you should be seeing a neurologist or a orthopedic food surgeon at a large academic medical center who has experience with patients who have diabetes.

diabetes can often cause nerve damage and neuropathy.

you might benefit from being on neurontin or lyrica which can help treat diabetic neuropathy.

you might need an insulin pump to help get your a1c levels down. you might need an MRI scan of the brain and foot to help look at the nerves

but most likely it is your long history of diabetes which has damaged nerves over time

let me know if you have questions.