Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My A1C is now 6.7 and it was 6.3 ---3 months ago. I was

Customer Question

My A1C is now 6.7 and it was 6.3 ---3 months ago. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 2 years ago and I am taking metformin 1000mg 2x/day. I recently stopped taking glyberide 2.5 mg po 2x/day and that was recommended by my MD. He said that I am ok with a 6.7 A1C and I should just exercise more and I will be ok and he is watching things. Should I be concerned with an A1C of 6.7 and should I be taking other meds in addition to metformin at this point?
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thanks for your question. I'm Dr. Hasan and I'll try to help you. I am sorry to hear about your problem. I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want. You should just be concerned but not stressed. You were supposed to have A1C value of 6.4 maximum. A value of 6.7 means that your diabetes control has been just slightly poor in last few weeks. At this point there is no need to add another medicine. Your doctor is right, you should exercise more and should watch your diet. After 3 months, get the test repeated and hopefully the value will be back to normal. If not then yes you must get another drug added but for now with this much difference exercise would be enough. I wish you good luck and that you get well soon. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always. Regards