Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Specialist
Experience:  I have special training and certification in Diabetes management for last 10 yrs.
23744323

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2012 I am 50 yr old

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in 2012 I am 50 yr old women, weight 145 my TCH started out at 12 and for the past two years its been 2.30 I am on 100mg levothroxine my annual blood test was this week and my TCH is now 5.63 I can't get in to see my
MD until next week ..Just wondering what's next.....does this happen that after two years it starts to go up again? What can I expect now...Thanks
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,
Thyroid gland gets destroyed gradually over time due to the autoimmune process.
This increases the need for thyroid hormones.
Also recent stress can cause increased need for thyroid hormone since this is a major metabolic hormone.
So, your levothyroxine dose needs to be increased to 125 mcg daily.
The TSH level needs to be checked in 6 weeks again.
Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today. If you have any additional questions or need further clarifications, please do not hesitate to ask. I am here to answer them. I wish you good health. Regards, ***** *****