DrRussMd
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor. Years of experience with diabetes, both conventional treatments and diet treatments.
24257177

Yes . I have a elevated TSH of 7.6 but my T3/FT4 are on

Customer Question

Yes hello. I have a elevated TSH of 7.6 but my T3/FT4 are on the normal (but low) side. I was put on medication for hypo for about a month. I started feeling really fatigued all day and joint pain and really angry and irritated. My dr halved my dosage and told me to contact the office in a week. I did with the same results so she took me completely off all the medicine and told me to come back to my next appointment in July for another test. I've been feeling great except for being really sensitive to the cold again (this has been normal for me for years but went away w hypo pill treatment) and brittle nails are back again. What's going on?!
Thank you
Alicia
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
Hello
You are hypothyroid.
TSH optimally is around .8 to 1.
Your doctor is correct to re check the lab, as lab error would be another possible culprit.
But initial therapy does not always make people feel better...they can initially get more fatigued...that is why the dose must be adjusted based on labs.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.