How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. David Your Own Question
Dr. David
Dr. David, Other
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 45963
Experience:  Experienced physician, undergraduate studies at MIT, studied Engineering, qualified to answer your questions.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
Dr. David is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 55 years of age, I have been a Diabetic 5 years.

Customer Question

I am 55 years of age, I have been a Diabetic for about 5 years.
I have higher than normal reading early morning before breakfast and seems to settle down to a normal reading during the day. My doctor is trying and experimenting with various medications and I am getting very frustrated and concerned about the amount of tablets he has prescribed.
Should I ask to see an endocrinologist?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry forgot to tell you I am Type 2 Diabetic.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 years ago.
This is Dr. David
if you are feeling your doctor is experimenting, then you should see an endocrinologist for a second opinion.
it sounds like you are taking glipizide/metformin 2.5/1000 and Diamicron (gliclazide) and Glucobay (Acarbose).
it sounds like these oral agents are not controlling your blood sugars in the morning
you might have to go to insulin injections before bedtime to help control your levels in the morning.
you do need to consult with an endocrinologist
let me know if you have other questions.