How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask DrRussMd Your Own Question
DrRussMd, Board Certified Physician
Category: Endocrinology
Satisfied Customers: 65329
Experience:  Internal medicine doctor. Years of experience with diabetes, both conventional treatments and diet treatments.
Type Your Endocrinology Question Here...
DrRussMd is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has Kleinfelter's, he is 20 years old. He started

Customer Question

My son has Kleinfelter's, he is 20 years old. He started taking Androgel last June and was doing quite well. He had normal testosterone , but on the low end of normal (especially for his age). They increased the dosage and when he had it checked in March it was off the charts, too high. HIgher than what is considered normal. Since they upped the dose , he has been experiencing moodiness, crabby and irritable, tired, very emotional. They told him to stop taking the gel for a week. It is still to high and he is still very angry and irritable. So he has stopped taking it for the last 10 days.. Doesn't it take longer than a week to get it out of his system?? Or can you tell me how long? Or could there be something else now going on with him... He is not the same person and he can't keep going this way.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Endocrinology
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
The effects can take weeks to a few months to stabilize.
In fact he needs to be working with an endocrinologist
Is he?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
he is...but they said stop for a week and it should be fine and clearly he's not. That is why I'm looking for outside information so that I know what we can do, what to expect etc..
Expert:  DrRussMd replied 2 years ago.
I would measure
Testosterone, free testosterone, estradiol, and SHBG
Sometimes with this therapy everything can go out of balance, so I would check thyroid studies and adrenal function as well.
Ask the endo about this.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.