Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

If my prior employer does not pay into Unemployment benefits

If my prior employer does not pay into Unemployment benefits because they are a religious non-profit organization, can I go back beyond that employer to file claim for unemployment benefits?
JA: Is your employer claiming the termination was for misconduct?
Customer: no due to loss of business income and downsizing.
JA: Where are you located? Unemployment law varies by state.
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the current religious non profit employer is part of a church daycare and may be shut down by state mandate due to CV

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over 14 years of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

If you receive a phone call offer from the site that is not directly from me. It is an automatic popup option. It is entirely your choice if you wish to engage in a phone call. If not, we can continue to discuss the matter here. If I am unable to take the call, you may still choose to accept that and, if you do, ANOTHER expert would call you when available.

That depends on how far back the other employer is. North Carolina uses a "base period" to determine whether or not you are eligible for unemployment.

They look at the 52 weeks prior to when you are asking for benefits. If the other employer is not in that base period, they'll use an alternate base period looking at the last 4 quarters before the benefit year that you are requesting (if you're asking for benefits in 2020, they'd look at 2019).

If there is no qualifying employer in that time frame, you'd not be eligible.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, four or preferably five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Yes that’s great info. Thank you

Take care.