ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I was reviewing your Florida Wage Payment Laws handbook. I

hello. I was reviewing your Florida Wage Payment Laws handbook. I have a question about one section and how it is supported by any laws.
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: a lawyer
JA: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we ll me specific question is about the Notice of Wage Reduction. In the handbook it says a wage reduction can only be applied before horus worked and not hours already worked. I would just like to know where in the law it says that.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

It's actually not a law, per se, but contract law. That is, there is an implicit contract in an employment relationship. An employer agrees to pay X to an employee, who will do work Y in exchange for X. Time already worked is worked under that prior agreement, and if the employer paid less than was agreed upon for that time (a retroactive wage reduction) that would be a breach of contract. Again, it's not a specific statute, but rather contractual in nature.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, and good luck to you!

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
thank you. And that implicit contract applies even for an at will relationship where there was no actual employment contract just a general pay plan (that we both signed) but that says it can be altered at any time?

Yes.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Ok great thank you.

Either party can alter it at any time unless there's something in writing that sets it for a period of time. But it's still only after notice. The employer can say that they will pay less, OR the worker can say that they will only work if paid more. If there's a meeting of the minds, then employment will continue. But for time already worked, it's under the agreement that was reached when the work began at that rate.

My pleasure.If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (good or better). Thank you, and good luck to you!