William Kenworthy
William Kenworthy,
Experience:  administrative law judge at Social Security Administration
103145488

Clause from an employment contract. Not discussed with

Clause from an employment contract
JA: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: Not discussed with anyone yet In my currnt contract
JA: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?
Customer: You will receive a bonus of 10% of your latest annual salary which will be paid as 10% in the first year, 30% in the and 60% in the third BRB
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to try to understand that language Salaried job Common law system

I cannot understand that either. What is a BRB? Perhaps in full context this paragraph can be construed.

Judge Bill K. ret.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hello Bill, it is Bill. I am a Bostonian living in Dubai. Dubai has (generally) common law for contracts. I have a contract with a training company, and I will give you the language in question below.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Performance Bonus
You will receive a tretention bonus of 10% of your latest annual salary which will be paid as 10% in the first year, 30% in the second and 60% in the third. The first payment will be April 2020.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
That's it (above). I just do not get it. Very poor wording for a contract. When I first read it, I thought it means 10 - 30 - and 60 % bonuses for living in this lovely place, but, a second look, maybe not. Advice is appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
The only meaning that I can give to this language is that your bonus will increase to the sum of 60% in the third year. That seems very strange, but perhaps they are desperate to keep people there. You will have a bonus coming up very soon, so perhaps that will be clarified. Good luck!
Please remember to rate this answer, as that step is essential to the expert compensation process.
Judge Bill K. Ret.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thank you for your help Judge. Retention of employees is difficult in Dubai, so it is not impossible. Behind the hype it is a miserable place. However, I think they have made an error. I am concerned that if I call them on it at bonus time (April 2020) that they will realize it, try to amend the contract or look for a way to let me go. I am considering not saying anything until the end of the contract and then initiating legal action should they not comply. Do you think accepting the first payment (who knows what that might be) without comment may expose me to accepting the terms of the contract as they define them?