How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 17462
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If you received $824 for unemployment insurance in the State

Customer Question

If you received $824 for unemployment insurance in the State of Illinois during the first 2 weeks of starting a new job, will you be prosecuted for jail time?
JA: Have you discussed this unemployment issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No
JA: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the Lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 16 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is Patrick and it will be my pleasure to answer your question.


To be criminally prosecuted, the DA must establish fraudulent intent. So, if the reason for the overpayment was confusion over the rules or some other sort of legitimate misunderstanding, it is unlikely criminal charges would succeed. Paying back the money will also drastically reduce the chances of criminal charges, as paying back the money shows that there was no intent to take advantage of the system since as soon as the mistake was discovered it was corrected.


I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.