Employment Law

I’m trying to find wordings in the Labor Laws or FLSA

Customer Question
I’m trying to find...

I’m trying to find wordings in the Labor Laws or FLSA stating that an employer can not make an employee do another job title even if both job title is in the same Contract Bargaining Agreement? The job titles are disclosed with different job classifications... Read full answer

I’m trying to find wordings in the Labor Laws or FLSA stating that an employer can not make an employee do another job title even if both job title is in the same Contract Bargaining Agreement? The job titles are disclosed with different job classifications in the Contract Bargaining Agreement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Discussed with my Union Rep.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Union. It’s hourly.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Employment Law
2/19/2019
Employment Lawyer: Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

You will not find any language like that, because the FLSA doesn't deal with contract issues. Without a contract specifying that the employer cannot alter terms of employment, an employer can change the job that a person does at any time.

So, this is not an issue that any external law can assist with, as employers typically have the right to make an employee do any job they wish. This is, instead, solely a breach of contract question. You have to address this with your union and through the grievance process first. If the union won't help and the employer doesn't change their position, you'd then have to find a local attorney to sue for breach of the Contract Bargaining Agreement. Any rule against changing an employee's position will have to come from that agreement itself.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Can an employer require an employee to do the work of
Can an employer require an employee to do the work of another employee because that employee has a disability...the employer claims to have made reasonable accomodations for the disabled employee... … read more
Lawyer,
How can a company keep a union hourly employee in Missouri
how long can a company keep a union hourly employee in Missouri on suspension without pay while investigating the situation … read more
Attorney,
May a police officer who is a regular employee of the entity
May a police officer who is a regular employee of the entity perform contact work as a bailiff for the same entity? … read more
Stop searching for answers—
I am an open shop employer. 5 union employees, 9 non-union
I am an open shop employer. 5 union employees, 9 non-union employees. All employees are covered by the bargaining agreement. The union employees pay $1.40/hr of their wages to a pension fund. The non-… read more
Employment Lawyer,
A colleague of mine at a state university in Ohio is a classified
A colleague of mine at a state university in Ohio is a classified civil service (hourly) employee. Strangely, she works 20 hrs/week in one office under one classification, then 20 hrs/week in another … read more
wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter
Attorney,
I work for a state regulatory agency that requires me to travel
I work for a state regulatory agency that requires me to travel to work sites to complete audits. I am a home headquartered employee. I am now required to drive a government car in lieu of being paid … read more
Employment Lawyer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
My friend was hired as a carpenter in a Peoria construction
My friend was hired as a carpenter in a Peoria construction company. He is a member of the local carpenters' union. After 18 months, his boss reassigned him to bidding jobs, rather than doing actual c… read more
Employment Lawyer,
I work at an institution of higher education in the Registrars
I work at an institution of higher education in the Registrar's Office. My title is Credentials Evaluator which means I evaluate incoming transcripts from other institutions for transfer credit. Until… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
I live and work in a right to work state, the unions collective
I live and work in a right to work state, the unions collective bargining agreement does not cover my classification, I'm not a company employee, nor a union member. Can I bargin directly with the com… read more
JackJD
JackJD
I work for a fire dept. in MO. We have 40 hr and 56 hr per
I work for a fire dept. in MO. We have 40 hr and 56 hr per week employees. Both are hourly positions. As such, OT is paid differently according to federal labor laws. OT is paid to the 40's over 40hrs… read more
LadyJustice
LadyJustice
Attorney & Counselor At Law,
FLSA - I WORK IN COMPENSATION AND WE HAVE MANY JOB TITLES
FLSA - I WORK IN COMPENSATION AND WE HAVE MANY JOB TITLES WITH BOTH EXEMPT AND NON-EXEMPT CLASSIFICATIONS WITHIN THE SAME TITLE (I.E. EMPLOYEES WITH DIRECTOR TITLE ARE BOTH EXEMPT AND NON-EXEMPT). THE… read more
Lawyer,
I work at school district with 2 different unions. I was told
I work at school district with 2 different unions. I was told that I could not interview because I wasn't in the right union; however in the past people have successfully moved between the two classif… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
Stop searching for answers—
Under the FLSA Overtime Pay - can a supervisor who falls under
Under the FLSA: Overtime Pay - can a supervisor who falls under the White Collar Exemption have there position changed from hourly to salary if the same business at the same location has other positio… read more
Lawyer,
Concerning Colorado labor law. I have been switched from salary
Concerning Colorado labor law. I have been switched from salary to hourly and back several times, without my consent. Is this legal? My boss went on vacation and put me on salary, then switched me bac… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
i am a union machinist with a posted job to perform set up
i am a union machinist with a posted job to perform set up and operation of machines in my plant, and another employee is trying to do my job and doesnt hold the title or job bid, and is crossing job … read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Is it an unfair labor practice to have a manager negotiate
Is it an unfair labor practice to have a manager negotiate away a grievance by settling with the union rep to discipline an employee in order to make the grievance go away? Scenario: Verbal interactio… read more
I work at Tiger Direct. I am an assistant manager that is ...
I work at Tiger Direct. I am an assistant manager that is exempt/salary. I still do alot of the jobs that I had done when I was only a regular hourly employee. I work between 45-60 hours a week with n… read more
Anne
Anne
Attorney,
How many consecutive days can an employer make an hourly
How many consecutive days can an employer make an hourly employee work, without a day off in Georgia ? The employees are working 10 hr days & days a week.… read more
Medicine and Law
Medicine and Law
Nurse Practitioner ,