Employment Law

I have a surgery scheduled next week, I put the request in…

Customer Question
Hi there. I have a...
Hi there. I have a surgery scheduled next week, I put the request in today as this is when I got the time slot. Due to understaffing my boss is requesting a note to determine if the surgery is medically necessary. is this legal?... Read full answer
Hi there. I have a surgery scheduled next week, I put the request in today as this is when I got the time slot. Due to understaffing my boss is requesting a note to determine if the surgery is medically necessary. is this legal?
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Employment Law
this is the email he sent me:Thank you for the information regarding your need for time off for surgery. I was surprised to get this request and sincerely ***** ***** is nothing serious. As you know, Taylor’s last day with the company is this Friday and Ashley is out of the office through next week for pre-approved vacation. As a result, we are in a tough position and really need you in the office. At the same time, we want to make sure you are able to get necessary treatment for any medical condition. Therefore, we need to better understand if the anticipated surgery is medically necessary and must be done immediately or if it can be scheduled for after Q1 or, at a minimum, when Ashley is back in the office at the end of February. If the surgery cannot be put off until the end of Q1, we will need a doctor’s note confirming that you require immediate surgery and the dates you must be out (we are not seeking any information regarding your diagnosis or treatment). If the surgery can be rescheduled without causing harm, please plan to schedule it for after the end of Q1.Please provide this information as soon as possible so that we can make a determination on your request for time off.
1/23/2019
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

Do you have any accrued sick leave? Also, have you used any accrued sick leave in the past 12 months?

our company is a start up and I am part of a very small team, 5 peopel total, so we don't have days in place that are protected

Okay.

So CA recently passed a "paid sick leave law," which entitles ALL employers regardless of size to offer 3 days of paid sick leave per year. The law specifically omits any "doctor's note" requirement for utilization of this paid time off, and also prohibits retaliation for taking this time off. (See here for reference: "Unless a medical certification is required pursuant to another leave law, no provision in the paid sick leave law specifically allows (or prohibits) an employer to ask for a doctor’s note as a condition of taking or returning from being sick. Instead, the law states that an employee must be able to take a sick day when a verbal or written request for the time off is communicated to the employer.")

So, essentially, under this new law, employees have 3 days of paid sick leave which are legally protected, and which their employers cannot question or insist on a doctor's note for.

The thing is, this only applies to those first 3 days of time off. Beyond that, and employers are free to require a doctor's note to confirm the medical necessity of a procedure, because employers are otherwise only required to accommodate absences necessitated by medical disabilities. This, of course, excludes voluntary procedures.

what is considered a voluntary procedure?

A procedure that is not necessary for your health.

but my employer can't determine that. I dont even need to tell them what kind of procedure I am havingadditionally they can't call the doctors office and ask questions

Your employer cannot determine that, but your doctor can, and that is why they are asking for a note. Your doctor would not need to reveal the details of the procedure, they would simply need to state it is medically necessary and not elective.

They can call, but your doctor cannot answer questions about your procedure without your consent.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
On December 27th I was scheduled To have cosmetic surgery.
On December 27th I was scheduled To have cosmetic surgery. On that day the anesthesiologist was Inform my urine test came up positive for phentermine. I told him I stopped it a little over 2 weeks pri… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
Son is on SSD.he works for sams's club 'walmart Industries'.
Son is on SSD.he works for sams's club 'walmart Industries'. Has to have surgery on his foot will be out two weeks or more. His manager did his Sedgwick disability paper work but said he did not need … read more
Maverick
Maverick
My company was purchased by another company and a lay off
Hi, my company was purchased by another company and a lay off occurred. As far as I know, everyone received 60 day notice under the WARN act. Some left the day of notification & others like me were gi… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I am scheduled to have foot surgery on December 16th due to
I am scheduled to have foot surgery on December 16th due to my RA which is causing me to walk on my bones, which has been very painful, makes it difficult to walk any length of time. Does my manager h… read more
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Lawyer,
FMLA QUESTION. In illinois. I am having hand surgery April
FMLA QUESTION. In illinois. I am having hand surgery April 18th on dominant hand. I asked for ten days off,using only my sick days, as it will be ten days or more until stitches removed. This is not w… read more
Employment lawyer,
when diagnosed with cancer manager harrassed a me daily
when diagnosed with breast cancer manager harrassed a me daily and threarened my job security going as far demanding from my primary physician that he fax her all my medical info on me including but n… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I have been working a 29 hours per week part-time schedule
I have been working a 29 hours per week part-time schedule under intermittent continuous FMLA since July 1,2012. Previously I was full time at 37.5 hours per week (paid hourly). This was recommended u… read more
Attorney at Law,
I turned in a request for medical leave to have a neccessary
I turned in a request for medical leave to have a neccessary surgery that requires a 6 week recovery. I confirmed with payroll that I have over 479 hours of sick time accrued, then confirmed with HR t… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
I HAVE WORKED FOR A SCH DST FOR 3 1/2 YRS WKG W/ A WHEELCHAIR
I HAVE WORKED FOR A SCH DST FOR 3 1/2 YRS WKG W/ A WHEELCHAIR BOUND STUDENT THAT REQUIRED LIFTING OUT OF HER WHEELCHAIR AND BACK, ALONG W/ WRITING FOR HER ALL DAY SUBJECTS AND LIFTING HER BOOKS. ONE D… read more
bwc.esq
bwc.esq
Attorney,
Hello again, I amI scheduled for surgery May 31st. I have
Hello again, I amI scheduled for surgery May 31st. I have told my employer and asked him for a form for FMLA. He has told me there is no form available and to just have my physician send something say… read more
Attorney at Law,
Can my large employer deny my request for FMLA. My physician
Can my large employer deny my request for FMLA. My physician has recommended 30 days continuing treatment for recovery.… read more
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw
Attorney,
I was recently terminated by my employer, because they stated
I was recently terminated by my employer, because they stated that I didn't comply with their request to produce a letter from my doctor on the doctor's letterhead, stating the length of time I would … read more
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
Hello, I work for the federal gov in dc. I am a special asst.
Hello, I work for the federal gov in dc. I am a special asst. to an associate director. I have been employed with my agency for 7 yrs. I have never received less than "exceeds" on my evaluations. I ha… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I am on FMLA for surgery, my job HR is telling me my doctor
I am on FMLA for surgery, my job HR is telling me my doctor hasn't faxed the proper forms in time. I have been taken off the employee listings for what I don't know. I am due to go back in 10 days acc… read more
Attorney at Law,
(Employer is in Texas) A couple of weeks ago I let my employer
(Employer is in Texas) A couple of weeks ago I let my employer know that I would probably need to be out sometime in the next couple of months for back surgery. At that time, I thought it would only b… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
SICK TIME USAGESeveral years ago the Blank Police Department
SICK TIME USAGE Several years ago the Blank Police Department in Southern California instituted a three, 12 work schedule program for those officers assigned to the patrol division. This three, 12 wor… read more
JBaxLaw
JBaxLaw
Attorney,
My boss continue to asked specific questions as to what surgery
My boss continue to asked specific questions as to what surgery was being done, where the surgery was being done, and what time of day. Is this in violation of HIPAA?… read more
Lawyer,
I am being refused 7 days off of work to have gall bladder ...
I am being refused 7 days off of work to have gall bladder surgery. I requested 7 days off of work to have the surgery as soon as the the surgeon scheduled it. when i put in the leave request it was n… read more
J D Haas
J D Haas
Trial Lawyer,