Employment Law

How is allowed for someone to work 280 hrs a week with 1 and…

Customer Question
How is allowed for...

How is allowed for someone to work 280 hrs a week with 1 and half days off a week

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I am only allowed to work 47 hrs a week but my mangers can only work 40 hrs max a week but I am only allowed 160 hr as a... Read full answer

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I am only allowed to work 47 hrs a week but my mangers can only work 40 hrs max a week but I am only allowed 160 hr as a whole a week

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am a full tome store manger that works at DOllar Gengerl

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My DM says I should not not work that many hours but the company wants things done in so many years or u get Tem 4 it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Employment Law
11/27/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Legally, if you are a salary employee, you can be made to work as many hours as they need you to work as you are an at will employee. Also, if you are an hourly employee as an at will employee, they can make you work as they need you as long as they pay you time and one half for any hours over 40 in a week.

So, the labor laws as a manager do not help you, especially if you are an at will salary employee I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page (bottom on the App), as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I am not paid time and ahalf for OTI am not paid time and a half for OT

Are you a salary employee or an hourly employee?

Salary for 47 hrs a week

Thank you for your reply.

A salary employee is not entitled to overtime, no matter how many hours they work over 40, only an hourly employee is entitled to time and one half overtime.

If you are a salary employee, you must work as many hours as the employer requires for the salary the employer has set I am afraid, no overtime.

How is that allowed when I am only required 47 hours a week but only paid for 40 hrs a week no matter that OT

Thank you for your reply.

That is because the laws favor employers when it comes to SALARY EMPLOYEES, so the employer gets to make the rules and pay you the agreed upon pay and make you work whatever hours they need you to work without additional pay.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I work for bed bath and beyond as an assistant store manager
I work for bed bath and beyond as an assistant store manager and am being forced to change from salary to hr. They want me to chose between working 45 hrs and making less then my current salary or wor… read more
Attorney,
I have been trying to get my check from Family dollar since
Hello I have been trying to get my check from Family dollar since the 26st of oct.. no one can help me get it.. they all act like they dont have a number for HR.. I need help i have bills to pay … read more
melissamesq
melissamesq
Attorney,
My husband has been with a company for 33 years as a store
Hi, my husband has been with a company for 33 years as a store manager. The district managers changed and he got a new dm 4 months ago. He received his evaluation from the new dm and it is routine for… read more
Attorney,
Stop searching for answers—
I work for a large company that have several plants in North
I work for a large company that have several plants in North America at my plant we have 70 some employees. The problem I've got is on March 31st we had worked on a broken piece of equipment for 10 hr… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
We pay by the shift and half time over 40. if an employee
We pay by the shift and half time for hours over 40. For example if an employee gets paid $100/shift and he works 5 shifts in five days but only 30 hrs. He gets paid $500. If his total hours are 42 fo… read more
Lawyer,
I am a private individual who pays a care giver. I pay her
I am a private individual who pays a care giver. I pay her time and a half for anything over 40 hrs. I I pay her in advance for 44 hrs and she only works the 40hrs. How many hours does she owe 4 or 12… read more
Partner,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I was told 4 weeks ago I can no longer be the store manager
I was told 4 weeks ago I can no longer be the store manager of a high volume store I am in and that I have been in for 3 years. I have grown the business from 7-12 million and have now been told the v… read more
Attorney/Landlord/Realtor,
If I work for an instirution that requires call and their policy
If I work for an instirution that requires call and their policy states that irregardless of whether you have worked 40 hrs a week and you are called in you will be paid time and a half as apremium pa… read more
Employment Lawyer,
I am a Registered Dental Hegienist. I have worked for 23 and
I am a Registered Dental Hegienist. I have worked for 23 and a half years in the same practice for the same two dentists. I have worked 40 hours a week all this time. Now the doctors have decided to c… read more
Attorney,
Can an employer pay you only half of your salary for a week
Can an employer pay you only half of your salary for a week you worked 40 hours and your week began on a Saturday and end on a Friday. I worked Saturday,6:00 AM to 3:00 PM and Sunday 7:00 AM to 10:45 … read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
I am a part time manager in clothing retail. There are 4 managers
I am a part time manager in clothing retail. There are 4 managers in our particular store the store manager who works about 45 hrs a week the assistant mgr who works about 32-35 hrs a week then 2 p/t … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
I entered into rehab using my vacation, the whole time my
I entered into rehab using my vacation, the whole time my district manager pressuring me to get back to work, he was covering for me. I am insured to be in treatment, doctors encouraged me to stay in … read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I am a General Manager of a retail store. Over the last three
I am a General Manager of a retail store. Over the last three years, my District Manager has put unreasonable demands on my position, required store sets, etc. be done before the company due date. Cur… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
I was recently displaced from manager position with a large
I was recently displaced from manager position with a large drug retail chain. I wanted to explain the situation and see if I have any ground in which to fight the termination or seek any additional c… read more
Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq.
Managing Lawyer/Advocate,
i was fired from a manger position from an auto parts store
i was fired from a manger position from an auto parts store in south carolina. i was accused of letting a piece of merchandise go with out being paid for. i did not do what they claimed i did, but the… read more
Lawyer,
I understand that there is something in the Fair Labor Standards
I understand that there is something in the Fair Labor Standards Act which requires employees to take home a minumum amount of their pay. The law says something about employers not being allowed to pa… read more
Cedric
Cedric
Attorney at Law,
Good Afernoon, Im a full time employee, working in an architectural
Good Afernoon, I'm a full time employee, working in an architectural office,employing less than 10 employers, in Dorchester, MA, 40 hours per week as an architectural designer. They pay me $26 per hr,… read more
Partner,
i work as a homehealth care provider, with h1b visa. im paid
i work as a homehealth care provider, with h1b visa. im paid per patient not per hour. but that's what me and my employer has agreed upon. is that set up legal? my emploeyer only guarantees me 32 hrs … read more
Partner,