Employment Law

Please. I have a situation at work. I was hired under a temp…

Customer Question
Hi there. Yes please...

Hi there. Yes please. I have a situation at work. I was hired under a temp service a few weeks ago to work at a production company. I am under contract with temp service for 90 days and after that should i and company decide i could work there as their employee. The contract i signed was to work 40 hrs a week 5 days per week. I have... Read full answer

Hi there. Yes please. I have a situation at work. I was hired under a temp service a few weeks ago to work at a production company. I am under contract with temp service for 90 days and after that should i and company decide i could work there as their employee. The contract i signed was to work 40 hrs a week 5 days per week. I have been made to stay over the 8 hr mark everyday and told it was mandatory to work Saturdays. I understand company has business to run but temp service only employed me for the 40 hours. I explained to both temp service and company that i had children to pick up from school and prior engagements and was not interested in overtime. Temp service said i had to follow company schedule and company said the same. My question is that if i signed a contract which if i break before 90 days i owe a portion of my earnings to wouldnt they be obligated to uphold the same contract and therefore no repercussions should be given if i fulfil my 40 hr obligation. I am being told that if i do not come in or stay for overtime i will be pointed which in turn would lead to termination and me owing temp service money

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you hourly or salaried? How many hours do you work each week?

Hourly and i started sept 5 a Wed work approx 28 hrs including Saturday

Lawyer's Assistant: Where are you located? Wage-and-hour laws vary by state.

Next week 45

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

And this week have worked 27 so far with expected work saturday and sunday im told

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/20/2018
Employment Lawyer: Eric Schneider,
 replied 9 months ago
Eric Schneider

Given that your contract called for you to work 40 hours, unless there is some language in the contract to the contrary, you cannot be called upon to have to return any money paid to you.

I do not understand the term "pointed" in context.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I am a temporary employee through a temp service-Safe
I am a temporary employee through a temp service-Safe Staffing in Cleveland, Ohio. I worked, until today-like an hour ago, at a factory--Green Innovations, for 14 months (as a temp). Usually companies… read more
Partner,
I am a contracted employee thtough a temp agency large
I am a contracted employee thtough a temp agency for a large corp. We are paid 45.50/hr for clinical work plus 25.00/hr for travel time. I noticed on my paystub that the company has been taking the ho… read more
Isaac, Esq.
Isaac, Esq.
Attorney at Law,
I am a contract engineer. My contract employer gets paid by
I am a contract engineer. My contract employer gets paid by an interim agency who charges GM for my time- times the hourly rate I agreed to. GM then pays the interim agency who then in turn pays the n… read more
Employment Lawyer,
Stop searching for answers—
I am an RN in Texas. I work for a dialysis company. On a regular
I am an RN in Texas. I work for a dialysis company. On a regular basis my nursing director schedules me to work a 12 shift and be on call until the next day. A typical work week can be work Tues, Wed,… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
This is a overtime question. Assumptions. Louisiana company.
This is a overtime question. Assumptions. Louisiana company. Company pays every two weeks. Work schudele is Mon-Thur 6:30am - 4:30pm 30 min lunch for a 40 hour week. The question is can the company ch… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Can I get terminated for not being able to complete the full
Can I get terminated for not being able to complete the full mandatory overtime (10 hrs) hours? Next Monday is going to be Labor day so that will leave me only Wed, Thurs, Fri.& Tues. to try to fit wh… read more
JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey
Lawyer,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
If there is a holiday in a week and I M forced to work saturday
If there is a holiday in a week and I"M forced to work saturday should I get overtime pay for saturday or will it be regular time, because i did not work 40 hours.,even though I get paid for 48 hours.… read more
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq.
Employment Lawyer,
Juris Doctor, Cum Laude
Florida travel time laws. Question, when does my work time
Florida travel time laws. Question, when does my work time start? Should it be considered part of my 40 hrs? I am paid hourly, non-exempt. Take home company vehicle (required tools and test equipment)… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
Hello, we have two people who are claiming that they should
Hello, we have two people who are claiming that they should have gotten overtime for some of the weeks they worked for our company. They've since left our employ. The worked from Nov 20 (a Saturday) t… read more
Attorney and Counselor at Law, Mediator,
My daughter was working for a Elderly Care Company. They have
My daughter was working for a Elderly Care Company. They have a few facilities in the Sacramento area and one residentail home where it's a live in care home for the patients. She was having problems … read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
My husband works for a global company that requires him to
My husband works for a global company that requires him to travel and a lot of overtime. Non salary. The company is based in California. They are trying to cut costs with this particular group of inst… read more
MDLaw
MDLaw
Attorney,
We own a company part of which is in specialty retail. We wanted
We own a company part of which is in specialty retail. We wanted to see if opening on Saturdays would be worthwhile to us. One employee who works for us full-time (40 hrs/week) would like to work on S… read more
Stop searching for answers—
I am an exempt professional employee of a quasi-government
I am an exempt professional employee of a quasi-government agency. Our agency is open 8 AM to 5 PM, MON-FRI, but our biweekly pay period is THU-WED. To reduce overhead expenditures, the agency decided… read more
Lawyer,
Can an employer place you on continuous 12 hr shift without
Can an employer place you on continuous 12 hr shift without your input? We have and now we work that, but receive no premium pay for hours worked Saturday/Sunday, plus we never receive a paycheck for … read more
Attorney,
My son was hired by an employer to work 10 hrs a day for flat
My son was hired by an employer to work 10 hrs a day for flat rate per day. He is required to work 5 days a week - Monday thru Friday. And was told Saturday work is optional. This is how all employees… read more
Lawyer,
Attorneys. My dilemia is the employer I work for, when I
Attorney's. My dilemia is the employer I work for, when I was hired, 7 yrs ago, told me that I would be working at least 1 saturday a month without pay. Ok, thinking that because I was a salaried work… read more
legaleagle
legaleagle
Attorney,
Hello, The company I work for is cutting overtime for four ...
Hello, The company I work for is cutting overtime for four hours on Saturday mornings. Management has decided to cut our hours from 40 to 36 hours during the week. By doing this we have to work Saturd… read more
BusinessDoc
BusinessDoc
How many consecutive days can an employer make an hourly
How many consecutive days can an employer make an hourly employee work, without a day off in Georgia ? The employees are working 10 hr days & days a week.… read more
Medicine and Law
Medicine and Law
Nurse Practitioner ,