Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have an employee that missed work becouse of old injuries…

Hi, i have an...

Hi, i have an employee that missed work becouse of old injuries does not call in for a week. finally talks to boss 1 time after that first week ,still doesnt return to work and no more call ins for 2 more weeks ,then calls wanting to return to work. is this grounds to fire her ??

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the injury with your HR staff? Or with a lawyer?

No not yet i am the small business owner in calif.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is your employee "at will?" Does she belong to a union?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats pretty much it thank you 1

7/15/2018
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

hi, i have an employee that missed work becouse of old injuries does not call in for a week. finally talks to boss 1 time after that first week ,still doesnt return to work and no more call ins for 2 more weeks ,then calls wanting to return to work. is this grounds to fire her ??

Response: Yes. She should have been fired the first week it happened.

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
not a problem ... thank you !!

You are quite Welcome!

Kindly use the popup/rating screen to give a 5-star rating so that I can receive credit for responding to your post.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Have a wonderful day!

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law