Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

An employee has worked 30 days and is showing poor

Hi, an employee has worked...
Hi, an employee has worked 30 days and is showing poor performance. His supervisor says she verbally trains him but he doesn’t take notes. She emails him letting him know what errors occurred and to correct. One day she came in to joke where’s the coffee? He replied women make coffee. Their communication is not good. She is afraid because when she tells him of an error he says he’s sick and asks for a day off. Then he says he is adopting a baby but not through an agency and will ask for more time off. The department manager said he can have time off. The supervisor notified HR (me) 2 weeks after the fact he made a comment about women. The only documents she has addressing his poor performance was through emails to correct. The manager is afraid if they have a formal conversation he will seek work accommodation for his paternity time off and or a disability. The manager feels trapped. It’s at will in California. The employee has a 90 days review so manager decisions as to end the employment. Any recommendations?
7/14/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Are you asking if you can terminate?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well the employee handbook gives 90 days introductory period & a performance review at the 90th day. I’m seeking advice because every time the supervisor addresses to him a performance error he says he’s sick and takes a day off. She’s afraid if she address his performance he’ll try to sue the company.
Performance issues should be notated. His excuses are not a defense and reasonable accommodation cannot be made allowing termination per the handbook terms. Practically company may offer small severance and get a full release. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Any recommendations? Should she formally do a written warning or continue to email him requests to correct errors?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do we note it without setting him off ?
Note file. Consider a final warning.Please click on the 5 star rating. ***** If you dont see it, just reply “5 stars” or “*****.” That’s how I get credit by the site. Thanks!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If he violates a policy can we let him go under the 90 days?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the emails are not enough? Supervisor should issue a written warning?
I would. Shows good faith.Please click on the 5 star rating. ***** If you dont see it, just reply “5 stars” or “*****.” That’s how I get credit by the site. Thanks!You are also welcome to leave a bonus after rating. Much appreciated!
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as experts are not employees of the site and do not get any credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.If you need any clarification on your answer please just reply back and ask me. I will be glad to comment further. If you have a follow up, please hold off on rating and you can rate once in the end when I address your follow up. There may be a short delay if I am helping another customer or have internet issues but I will be back to you if you need me
Infolawyer, Lawyer