Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

My son (adult) just started working for a company doing

Second opinion] My son (adult) just started working for a company doing bathroom remodeling. He is a salaried employee and is working 10 - 12 hours a day and told hes not entitled to overtime over 40 hours because he is a salaried employee. That doesn;t sound right to me. Im a federal professional employee (Mechanical Engineer) and even I get paid overtime beyond 40 hours but its only about a dollar more per hour than what an hours pay is worth at my salary based on a 40 hour week. I dont think a bathroom remodeling employee should be exempt from any additional pay over 8 hours when expected to regularly work excessive hours. Am I wrong? What's to stop employer doubling hours to 80/week for same pay?
JA: Is the workplace unionized? Has a grievance been filed?
Customer: non union
JA: Where are you located? Overtime laws vary by state.
Customer: Colorado Springs, CO
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I just don't like seeing anyone being taken advantage of and it appears that's what is happening.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
nothing stops an employer from working a salaried employee 60-80hrs /week if they are being paid 40k salary and company is under 500k annual ?
Although salaried, if not exempt he should be paid overtime. If exempt he can negotiate for higher pay and better hours or leave.I am sorry to be bearer of bad news. Sometimes I have to deliver bad news where the law is not favorable. I hope you appreciate that and not hold it against me. I owe it to you to answer truthfully even if the news is not good news.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Acceptable and I appreciate your time. Straight honest answer is what I was looking for.
Very welcome. Please click on the 5 star rating. ***** If you dont see it, just reply “5 stars” or “*****.” That’s how I get credit by the site. Thanks!You are also welcome to leave a bonus after rating. Much appreciated!