Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I loaned an associate $18000 for work done to his work

Customer Question
I loaned an associate...

I loaned an associate $18000 for work done to his work vehicle. he agreed to pay it back in installments. For a total of $20000. He passed away 1 week ago. After paying only half of the agreed amount. I have nothing on paper it was all on verbal agreements and hand shakes. Is there anything I can do to guarantee I get paid the rest

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you hourly or salaried? How many hours do you work each week?

I'm self employed and so was he

Lawyer's Assistant: Where are you located? Wage-and-hour laws vary by state.

I live in Wisconsin he lived in Kentucky

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that should cover it

Submitted: 9 days ago.Category: Employment Law
7/11/2018
Employment Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 9 days ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The only thing to do at this point, would be to speak with a family member of his or the executor of the estate and see if they would agree to repay the debt. The issue is that there is nothing in writing to prove the terms and conditions, so someone can just say you are making it up and the fact that this was not a contract that would pass to anyone else and make them or the estate liable. I know the death was unforeseen but you may be in a situation that without any proof, the chance of recovery is very limited.

Employment Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 6 days ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!