Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am about to sign a contract for my new job and I don't…

Customer Question
Hi, I am about to...
Hi, I am about to sign a contract for my new job and I don't understand what some of the terms mean. I was wondering if you can help me.
Submitted: 10 days ago.Category: Employment Law
7/11/2018
Employment Lawyer: Bill Attorney, Lawyer replied 10 days ago
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank you for contacting justanswer to post your legal question today. I'm attorney Bill assisting you today with your query.

The review of your employment contract can take considerable time but is a premium service in addition to the question and answer service, just let us know if you need this.

If you have a specific question in relation to your contact you can proceed here and I will assist you.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
I am in the process of interviewing somewhere else and I was wondering if I sign this contract and I accept the other offer, will I get into trouble or not. The terms that I don't understand and might be relevant to my problrm are:
The faculty member agrees to refrain from engaging her services in any capacity or parties to the loss, detriment or inconvenience of the university without the prior written consent of the president or her designee.Any agreement which modifies this offer must be written and signed by president in order to be valid and enforceable.If any terms in this agreement is inconsistent with university’s policy the terms of the contract shall prevail all other policies not addressed shall endure.

This term here:

"The faculty member agrees to refrain from engaging her services in any capacity or parties to the loss, detriment or inconvenience of the university without the prior written consent of the president or her designee."

Appears to be quite vague to be enforceable.

"Any agreement which modifies this offer must be written and signed by president in order to be valid and enforceable."

This phrase here alludes to amending your contract later.

"f any terms in this agreement is inconsistent with university’s policy the terms of the contract shall prevail all other policies not addressed shall endure."

Once again this term is overly broad and they need to include the University's terms in the contract.

You are free to sign a new contract at any time.

There may be non-compete clauses but the above you listed seem overly encompassing to be enforceable.

An entire contract review is something you can request through this site, just let me know.

Just a reminder I'm an independent legal expert and get a credit for my time after you rate positively.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Customer reply replied 10 days ago
Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it. I just wanna confirm; I won't get into any trouble if I sign the contract with the content I mentioned above and decide later that I want to accept another offer. Is that correct?

My answer is limited to legal information, both you and your employer can seek the redress of the courts at anytime.

I have indicated from the limited information provided that the clauses seem overly broad and ambiguous to be valid non-compete clauses.

I can offer more information if you would like the full contract reviewed; the offer is additional and you can accept as needed.

I'm an independent legal expert and get a credit for my time after you rate positively.

Thanks

Attorney Bill