Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was suspended from job for 3 days for no reason. I was…

Customer Question
I was suspended from...

I was suspended from job for 3 days for no reason

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the suspension with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

NO

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was told not to speak to HR after another employee falsely accused me of molestation and now denying they told me not to go to HR today she falsely accused me again saying I hit her,she is older lady about my mom age, I am big build not fat and 6'7

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Employment Law
6/29/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. It will be my pleasure to assist you. I am very sorry to hear about these allegations. What precisely is your question for me please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm confuse what can I do in this situation

Thank you.

It's a tough situation because employment is generally "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even TRUE.

Now, the above noted, it's against an employer's own self interest to terminate an employee for no reason, as it costs time and money to hire and train replacements. So, most employers make at least some effort to be reasonable. Being unreasonable just hurts their own business. Therefore, the best thing to do is generally submit a written statement rebutting the allegations that have been made against you and indicating that you will completely cooperate with your employer's investigation. Beyond this, the only other thing you can do is be patient and allow your employer to conclude their investigation. You are not in a position of power or leverage because, again, your employer doesn't actually need any reason at all to terminate the employment. I know it's frustrating, but it's regrettably what the law says about these situations.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.