Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had a few questions about what I could do in response to…

Hi! I had a...

Hi! I had a few questions about what I could do in response to some circumstances I encountered at a job recently

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No, they business is family owned and the owners run the business, they are the ones I actually have a quarrel with

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not

6/28/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. It will be my pleasure to assist you. What precisely is your question for me please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I recently was working at a family owned restaurant as a waitress and from the beginning it was kinda sketchy. They never asked me to fill out any tax information or asked for any form of Identification. They then started scheduling me overtime and didn't pay me for it. Also they only paid me in personal checks and then one day they just completely ceased all communication without warning, I have still not heard from the owners and have no idea if that is their way of expressing my unreasonable termination. What can I do in this situation?

Thank you. What state are you in? Also, for how long has this been going on?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Im in Michigan, and this has been going on since early May

Thank you again.

It sounds like your employer was paying you under the table, which is a violation of numerous employment and tax laws. To collect what you are owed in terms of unpaid wages/overtime, you can file a wage claim with the Michigan Dept. of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs here.

As a heads up, you will need to pay taxes of all of your earnings from this employer, even though they did not pay payroll tax and make the appropriate withholdings to pay taxes on your behalf.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.

Patrick, Esq.