Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am being terminated from my job for taking "unauthorized…

Hello I am being...

Hello I am being terminated from my job for taking "unauthorized cars". The investigation process was not "fair" and all facts were not considered. I worked OT hours that i did not claim in order to cover the expenses, which can be proven without a doubt. However, the company has decided to terminate my employment and has asked me to sign a document relinquishing my rights to any remuneration

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I would like to discuss with a lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I made previous complaints regarding workplace hostility that were ignored.

6/28/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. It will be my pleasure to assist you. What precisely is your question for me please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The facts as stated in the termination letter I received on June 12, 2018 are not accurate as I did not acknowledge that the cars were solely for my benefit, and omitted the fact that I forfeit overtime payment to pay for the cars. I acknowledged that the cars were previously approved by management dating 2014 to compensate for my expanding role allowing me to arrive to the office between 6:30am - 7:00am, which I did religiously. I also acknowledged that I worked before/after I arrived/left office each day in order to continue the level of service that my expanding role as assistant supporting Global Managers and their teams required. I fully acknowledged during HR conversation, that this was not for my sole benefit but this was a pre-existing arrangement with management that allowed me to continue to provide the level of service that my managers', given their expanding Global roles, along with their teams relied on to drive the overall success of the team.

Thank you. Please forgive me but you are still not really asking a question. I have an idea what you are getting at but I'd prefer not to make assumptions. What specifically is your question for me please?

Patrick, Esq.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1. is it legal for them to deny my right to any overtime payment?
2. Do I have any rights in NY as I am obviously being accused of and fired for a crime that has not been properly investigated?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the situation is a bit complex, as all are so trying to capture it all in writing is not ideal
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started