Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am looking at the ADEA and wondering if an employer can…

I am looking at...

I am looking at the ADEA and wondering if an employer can include in an older workers annual review that the employees #1 goal for the year is to provide their date of retirement. All other review items for the employee were satisfactory or above for the office administrator position she holds. Just prior to the annual review the employee celebrated her 70th birthday and has been planning to work two more years. Can an employer discipline an employee if they do not want to meet that goal for fear of being let go at an earlier date? Thank you for any clarification or insight you could provide.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. There is no HR, just a small church office. The new minister is looking to bring in a younger and more vibrant congregation. She has not been termed but asked to supply her retirement date.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will and salaried

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so...

6/28/2018
socrateaser, Lawyer

If the employer has a neutral policy with a mandatory retirement age for all employees, then the stated performance goal is legal. Otherwise, it's prima facie evidence of age discrimination, because the employee is being threatened with an adverse employment action unless the employee provides a definite and certain retirement date.

Note: Though your question has been sitting unanswered for many hours, please understand that I only visit this website occasionally during the week. If no one else answers a question, then I will generally answer as soon as I review the question. I apologize for any delay, but rest assured that I answered the question immediately after reviewing it for the first time.
----
I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) – otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I was reading the reply on my phone and did not see the stars. This was the first time I have used this system. Thank you so much for your assistance

No worries. Thanks for your confidence and for using Justanswer!