Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I worked for a company put in two weeks noticed was promised…

Customer Question
I worked for a...

I worked for a company put in two weeks noticed was promised by district manager that I would receive my left over pto hours pay of 56 hours and did not receive them now they saying that I would not be paid for them after I work my two weeks through to receive that pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this wage-and-hour issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Hr relations team said they were looking into it but I have all my proof showing how many hours were left saying I should’ve called leave of absence but leave of absence is without pay and they saying they won’t pay my pto that I had left since I didn’t contact leave of absence I was told to contact my district manager and I did so he claimed they weren’t gonna pay for pto hours unused I was with company nearly 4 yrs and an instance had occurred twice I needed to take time off he denied me of doing so each time so how was I to ever take time off if he didn’t ever approve it

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I signed an agreement at will I put in my own two weeks notice I was tired of the favoritism and unfairly treatment towards me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was also told that when my granny was sick had three strokes in one week I asked if I can take personal time off to assist her with her illness by contact my district manager he said that they weren’t gonna pay me to be off to take care of a sick relative that I can take leave of absence without pay

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
6/10/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

You may have a case against this employer. Generally, an employer must pay their employee at least a minimum wage, the wage agreed upon in their employment agreement, and overtime wages, if the rules regarding overtime apply to the employee. Also, an employee must be paid for all hours worked regardless of whether they are salary, hourly, part-time, or full-time. Upon termination, an employee must be paid out any bonuses, commissions, or any sick or vacation time that they have earned up until that time.

At times, an employee may need to file a wage claim to recoup the money they were supposed to be paid. Sometimes, this money could be money that was not paid as promised or could be money that was inadvertently withheld by the employer (e.g. they took out too much for health care). Every state and the U.S. government have a process that an employee can follow to get a return on their wages. The government acts as the go-between for the employer and the employee. They have the authority to investigate and make a final determination on whether wages were to supposed to be owed. The wise thing to do is to provide whatever documentation is necessary to make the government’s job easier. It’s important to remember that they are unfamiliar with an employer’s policies, wage scales, compensation plans, bonus schemes, etc. so if an employee provides much of that information in an organized manner in advance, then they are going to be in good shape. If a person has a complaint regarding wages, they can actually just click here and follow the rules on how to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Labor.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?