Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I drive an 18-wheeler I am paid with 1099 the man I was

I drive an 18-wheeler...

I drive an 18-wheeler I am paid with 1099 the man I was driving for verbal abuse doesn't want to pay the last pay threatens I want to know what the laws are

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Have not discussed with anyone yet I just found out I was fired while I was at the grocery store

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I belong to no Union the man owns trucks I drove for him he gives a 1099 so we don't have to pay anything I guess all I know really

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other than you don't want to pay and then threatened

Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2018
Eric. Y., Esq.

Hello. My name is Eric. I am an attorney and can assist you.

What state is the employer in?

Arkansas

Ok. One moment while I formulate my response.

Keep getting popups, i have not viewed any resonse other than pop ups wanting more money

Please do not respond to those. The site sends those. I am completing my response. ONe moment.

If you haven’t been paid properly for your work, you may be entitled not only to your unpaid wages, but also to penalties intended to punish your employer for wage violations.

In Arkansas, you have the right to collect certain penalties if an employer fails to pay properly and on time.

If your employer failed to pay you all of the wages you earned, you may be able to file a wage claim with the Arkansas Department of Labor. The Arkansas Department of Labor has posted its wage claim form online. To file a wage claim, you must make $50,000 or less per year, and your wage claim must be for $2,000 or less. If you’re eligible, you can either file a wage claim or file a lawsuit in court. If you’re not eligible , your only option is to file a lawsuit.

If you aren’t comfortable filing a claim on your own behalf, or you have a large or complex wage claim, talk to an experienced Arkansas wage and hour lawyer about representing you. A lawyer can file a wage claim on your behalf or file a lawsuit in court. If you win, your attorney can ask the judge to make your employer pay your attorneys’ fees.

You should be aware that there are time limits for filing your claim or lawsuit. In Arkansas, you have three years to file a claim or a lawsuit for unpaid wages or overtime. For violations of federal law, you have two years to file (or three years, if your employer's violations were willful). An attorney can also tell you if you have any other claims, such as a breach of contract claim, to which different time limits typically apply. Either way, it’s usually in your best interests to pursue your case as soon as possible, so that you don’t lose access to key witnesses and evidence that will support your claims.

I hope this information was helpful. If so, please kindly rate my response on a scale of 3-5 stars or simply hit "accept" answer on your end and hit send. THank you.

Eric. Y., Esq.