Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a first year teacher and was dismissed for a reason…

Customer Question
I am a first...

I am a first year teacher and was dismissed for a reason that was never expressed to me. Apparently principals can let go of Il new teachers for no reason.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the termination discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Salary

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/9/2018
Employment Lawyer: Eric. Y., Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Eric. Y., Esq.

Hello. My name is***** am an attorney and can assist you.

Was it a private or public school?

Ok. Great
Public

Which school district and what state?

Union
Illinois
Rockford 205

And you were under a contract correct?

I was under contract. I was a nontenured teacher in my first year of teaching. I was never given a mentor. Also. I was suppised to have 20 informal evaluations and 3 formal. I only got 1 informal and got an excellent on it.
Sorry 10 informal.

Constitutional provisions provide protection to teachers and school staff at public schools that are generally not available to teachers at private schools. Since public schools are state entities, constitutional restrictions on state action limit some actions that public schools may take with respect to teachers or other employees. Rights that are constitutional in nature include the following:
•Substantive and procedural due process rights, including the teacher right to receive notice of termination and right to hearing

I had an issue with a verbally aggressive counselor. I ran away crying after she slammed a door behind me. After that the principal made up an allocation reason to dismiss me. Only later do I find out he terminated me with no reason.

You should review your contract to determine what grounds you may be terminated. There may be a breach of contract situation. Also, you should request a hearing to discuss your termination. You have the right to be heard to discover the justification for your non-renewal.

I hope this information was helpful, if so, please rate my response on a scale of 3-5 stars.

Problem is that he lied and said it was because of allocation. Student numbers. I missed te window I think to contest it. Later my union rep called him and asked him why. He told her I had classroom management That was ideal for gifted students and not difficult students like at that school. He said it was a performance issue because my classroom management didn’t fit for that school. That was never observed by him or by my assistant principal. He also stated that I had several warnings about it which is untrue. I only had one in formal observation which was excellent
where do I go from here? What type of attorney do I get.

Please go to Martindale.com. That is the website where us attorneys go to find already vetted local counsel in all states. Narrow your search to your state, city, and "school law." Your search will provide a list of lawyers. You will not see their contact information as you are not an attorney. However, simply copy and paste their names into google and run that search. That will show you their firm name, email and contact. Call 2 or 3 and request a consultation. Bring your contract and any material given to you by the district. He or she will be able to assess your claims immediatley and bring the appeal on your behalf.

I hope this information was helpful. If so, please kindly rate my responses on a scale of 3-5 stars. That is how we receive credit. Thank you.

Would like this conversation private.

The site does not disclose any personal information to the public.