Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I'm a VIP host at one of the most popular nightclub in las…

I'm a VIP host...

I'm a VIP host at one of the most popular nightclub in las vegas, three weeks ago five of us went to management and request better conditions of work as well as more pay. Our petition was granted making significante change on our salary but lately three of my co-workers were fired because a violation to parking garage permit. A week later after I've been selected as one of the 35 most important VIP host of las vegas, I got fired for the same reason as the others. The conclusion according to me was that I got fire as reprisal for our salary request, up to the point that I did not get at least the chance to be given disciplinary action and keep my work. In addition to that I've been held responsible in compliance with the six month contract which states that I can't work in the hosting business, basically they are preventing me from making my living on what I do best. Please advise. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HT fired me. No consultation with anybody else yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No Union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know Do I have rights. I don't want to get back to work with them.

6/9/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I am afraid that since you do not have a union, your employment is considered to be at will. An at will employee has no rights at all except to be paid for all hours worked and to be free from discrimination based ONLY on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employees. The at will employer can fire their employee for no reason at all or any reason at all. At will employees have a right to request better work conditions, but unlike unions who can bargain for those conditions, an at will employee has no such right and they have to either work under the conditions the employer has or leave if the employer will not change the conditions.

You have a right to file for unemployment.

If you have a non-compete agreement, I am afraid the NV courts enforce those agreements as long as they are reasonable as to the limit of employment you cannot take to protect your employer's interest and it is short in duration and geographic area. So you could be stuck with that 6 month non-compete being enforceable as well I am sorry to say and you may have to at least take a temporary different job or perhaps go to Reno or some other location outside of the geographic area in the non-compete.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.