Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My daughter was just terminated from an employer who accused…

My daughter was just...

My daughter was just terminated from an employer who accused her of things that were not true - they said she said things she didn't, and she was barely out of training, and was never interviewed by anyone in HR regarding supposed "harrassment" allegations but was told she was harrassing an employee and that's the main reason she was terminated. Does she have any means of recourse? She was devastated and they really have attacked her character directly with lies.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the accusation discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

She said she had her manager in there and the person who terminated her but she didn't know if they were HR or not, I'm guessing they might have been. Her copy has no signatures and it just says Manager, her signature and "witness"

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

"at will" and hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They also have on there that she had multiple coachings/conversations regarding her performance (she had one day, 3 times, 3 different issues) and was told that she had time to learn as it was a new area and had only been doing the job on her own 2 full days of on her own calls and they documented in the termination papers the instances on 1 day only, the next day she told me she did 134 calls (nothing documented for that day) then the next day (yesterday) they made her do a side-by-side all day (which meant she just listened all day and took notes. then fired today. the other thing they should know is on Friday, May 25th, right after lunch, she had a panic attack. She had to go home that day. And almost felt like she was going to have another one on 6/2, but said she didn't. She only started working for them on 5/7 and it was a month long training program.

6/8/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

This is very unfortunate and I am truly sorry for your daughter. However, as a general rule, employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

So, based on what you have described your daughter would not typically have any legal recourse. The decision is quite unfair, but all she can really do is attempt to reason with her employer. There is no way for her to force them to continue employing her, even if their decision is completely unreasonable. She can try applying for unemployment benefits and should do so as soon as possible.

I hope this answers your question. If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.

thank you and I understand, but I am curious because I believe it is all connected to the panic attack, and they accused her of harrassment, but never once did an investigation and then lied in the accusations. There's nothing that can be done about that? It seems very unethical. I work for Intel and our HR would have never allowed something like that to happen and it would have come out in the investigation. This has really crushed her where she is extremely depressed and I'm worried about her.

It would be illegal to terminate her specifically because of a disability diagnosis, but that would be separate from terminating an employee because of behavior that manifested as the result of a disability. The latter is not against the law. Just as an employee with PTSD could be terminated for punching their boss (even if the episode was triggered by PTSD) an employee with a panic attack disorder could be terminated for alleged "harassment" that was prompted by the panic attack. Your daughter would have to show that the stated reason for her termination of harassment was nothing more than a fabricated pretense to terminate her simply because she has a disability. This would be very hard to show. Nonetheless, she could certainly file a complaint with the EEOC alleging this and have them conduct an investigation.

ok thanks we may pursue that

You are very welcome.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes to you and your daughter.

Patrick, Esq.