Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Store manager. Hourly. Should i explain whats going on over…

Customer Question
Store manager Lawyer's Assistant:...

Store manager

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Should i explain whats going on over the phone or on here?

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/8/2018
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. It will be my pleasure to assist you. What precisely is your question for me please?

an emergency happened at the job site i was working at and when i called my store manager instead of her understanding the situation she took me off the schedule for a whole week. then when i call for my schedule for the current week again i was told that i wasnt on the schedule again and my store manager hung up on me. the way im treated at family dollar is not right
an emergency happened at the job site i was working at and when i called my store manager instead of her understanding the situation she took me off the schedule for a whole week. then when i call for my schedule for the current week again i was told that i wasn't on the schedule again and my store manager hung up on me. the way I'm treated at family dollar is not right
an emergency happened at the job site i was working at and when i called my store manager instead of her understanding the situation she took me off the schedule for a whole week. then when i call for my schedule for the current week again i was told that i wasn't on the schedule again and my store manager hung up on me.
an emergency happened at the job site i was working at and when i called my store manager instead of her understanding the situation she took me off the schedule for a whole week. then when i call for my schedule for the current week again i was told that i wasn't on the schedule again and my store manager hung up on me. what should i do?

Thank you.

Unfortunately there is no way to force them to put you back on the schedule or continue employing you. It seems they misunderstood the situation and have placed you at fault for something that was not your fault, but employers are not required to be fair or to conduct proper investigations. Employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary and as such can be terminated or suspended at any time for virtually any reason, fair or unfair.

So all you can really do in this type of situation is continue to wait and work with your employer. Patience is key. Being overly persistent or aggressive will be counter productive. It would generally be wise to put together a written statement of what happened so your employer can understand your perspective and has the information they need to properly evaluate things. You can also try applying for unemployment benefits if your employer is not communciating with you and you have no idea when or if you'll be put back on the schedule. You do not need to be formally "terminated" to collect unemployment benefits.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.