Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

If you have worked the same position and hours for 30 yrs…

If you have worked...

If you have worked the same position and hours for 30 yrs can your employers just change you to shift work and put you into another position that you have no knowledge and training on

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Just with immediate boss who says he just has to give you 24 hrs notice of shift change

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

No union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No this isn't for me personally but a fellow employee who has no tec experience

6/8/2018
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

As a general rule, employment is "at will" absent an agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated or modified for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination or modification is fair, reasonable or even true.

Regrettably, this does mean that it would be permissible to change a 30 year employee's position with no advanced notice and with no training for the new position. It's not fair, but the law does not require employers to be generally fair.

I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what your friend was hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.