Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was confronted and felt attacked by the executive director…

Customer Question
I was confronted and...

I was confronted and felt attacked by the executive director (ED) of the non-profit organization I have worked at for the past 9 years The ED is new (shy of 1 1/2 years) and she has completely been absent for more than half the time she's been employed. She has been given deadlines by the Board of Director's which she hasn't met, and when I brought up the fact that she isn't present to do her job, she went off the walls and yelled at me and accused me of disrespecting her. She was loud so that the rest of the staff could here it and then she closed the door to my office (actually small closet) and continued to scream at me. I am in management and she is my direct supervisor. I am not sure if I have to go directly to the Board of Directors or if I should look at other resources for assistance as I believe she is now going to target me for questioning her position (please note that the rest of the staff feels the same way I do and are wondering what we can do as a team).

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the accusation with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am 'at will'

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
6/4/2018
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Normally, if an employee wants to resolve an issue they have with management, they will go either to the boss of the person they are having issues with, or to HR. What you described is not a legal issue unless you are being targeted only because you are in a protected class under employment discrimination laws. In other words, currently, there are no laws that prohibit an employer from being a bully or from general non-physical maltreatment. It is certainly considered unprofessional, just not unlawful, unless it falls into the category I mentioned.

Even if it did fall within the category I mentioned though, you would still be required to exhaust your remedies within the organization to resolve the issue before you would have the legal right to file a complaint with the EEOC and file suit.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 4th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.