Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was accused by my Supervisor and HR department that I was…

I was accused by...

I was accused by my Supervisor and HR department that I was abusing my intermittent leave (medical leave for my anxiety and depression). They informed me about the accusations before they had any solid proof. I proved that I was not abusing my leave and that they had made a mistake.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the accusation with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes I met with them to show my proofs

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

We don’t have a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes

This incident had caused me so much stress and anxiety. I missed 2.5 days of work, my psychiatrist doubled my Ativan prescription, I had to see my psychiatrist and she increased my Effexor to the maximum dose.
6/2/2018
Eric. Y., Esq.
Hello. My name is***** am an attorney and can assist you.
Please ask your question.
Can I file a complaint to HR about my supervisor causing me anxiety and stress?

It is against the law to harass an employee for needing or taking FMLA.

It sounds like your FMLA was approved by human resources and that HR has not done its job in letting your manager know the limits of what he can ask you or the subsequent harrassment. I suggest you write up what has happened. Create a log of any comments, adverse actions or other funny business, starting with the day the first uncomfortable thing took place. Write down the date, time, what was said or done, who said or did it, and any witnesses. You may not remember the exact dates or times, but do the best you can. I would file this formal complaint with HR and see what their investigation finds.

If they agree with you, then they should take action to make sure the harrassment stops. If it does not stop, I suggest filing a claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. They investigate harrassment and discrimination in the workplace on behalf of the employee, free of charge. They can be contacted at 1-***-***-****. You do not deserve this harrassment and they will act on your behalf.

I hope this information was helpful. If so, please kindly rate my response on a scale of 3-5 Stars. Thank you.

Eric. Y., Esq.