Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a second surgery scheduled for the end of the month.

Customer Question
I have a second...

I have a second surgery scheduled for the end of the month. The first was a double mastectomy for breast cancer. This is for reconstruction. I gave 30 days notice. My boss is wanting me to change the dates but my surgeon does not want to as he also has a three week vacation coming up after my surgery. Can my boss actually ask me to change my dates?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this scheduling issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Yes, my manager. This is who said it would be inconvenient for my team.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

We are bargaining for a contract now and I do belong to the union.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
6/3/2018
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Question:

Response: Unfortunately, yes, legally. However, under the circumstances, your boss is being quite unfair, unreasonable, and callous. You cannot change the schedule because the surgeon is not going to be available for when your boss wants. Your boss needs to try to be human for a second and think about your health instead of being selfish. When you get better, you should look to join another team as the manager has shown that the only thing she cares about is the team and not individual persons on the team. Your surgery being "inconvenient for the team" should not be a valid reason to postpone a major surgery.

Your Union should get involved here and get the boss to be reasonable and allow the surgery to proceed on the scheduled date.

Best wishes,

<p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site. <p style="margin-top:2.5pt;margin-right:0in;margin-bottom:2.5pt;margin-left:
0in;line-height:12.5pt">

Thank you for your cooperation.