Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I own and operate a restaurant in nassau county NY. our

Customer Question
I own and operate...

I own and operate a restaurant in nassau county NY. our shift times are unusual sometimes starting 11an until 7pm and a second shift going from 7pm until 2am. how do we provide breaks legally?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

The job is hourly not a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is there a waiver for employees to sign if they are willing to take a short paid break at end of 6 hour shift? again we are in NY

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
6/2/2018
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

NY does not allow an employee to waive their mandatory lunch period. If they work less than 6 hour shifts you do not have to provide a mandatory lunch period, if they work more than 6 hours, you must provide a lunch break sometime during the middle of the shift as business provides and you can stagger employee breaks.

However, you cannot get them to sign any waivers, you have to schedule breaks into their shifts I am afraid or you need to hire more employees and overlap them so none work more than 6 hours.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.