Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I just learned that a former HR director at my company where…

I just learned that...

I just learned that a former HR director at my company where I am the CEO secretly recorded several meetings that I spearheaded. She is threatening to release the tapes. Is this legal i the state of Tennessee?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No. Just learned about it 20 minutes ago.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

TN is a "at will state",so I would say I am a at will employee. I am not part of a union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The employee was a former friend who cause much conflict at my job. She underminded me at every turn. Reported false information to my supervisor who finally found her out and fired her.

6/2/2018
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Can you please tell me who to (in general) and why this person wants to release the subject tapes to? Also, were they in attendance at the meeting and a participant? I will be away from my computer for much of the day, but will respond as soon as I become available again.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer
This person was a participant along with other managers at my general staff meetiings. Her claim is that I spoke harshly to staff. She did not say who she was going to release tapes to, but my guess is to my superior orr the media. The meetings are confidential as much information reported is about our patients. She believes I turned the company against her and caused her termination which is not true. She encouraged staff to report false reports against me and told them she would be a better CEO than me.
Eric. Y., Esq.
Phone call session started