Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question? I have been a Federal employee at Defense…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question? I have been a Federal employee at Defense Language Institute for the last thirteen years. I was hired as an excepted employee under article 10 authority. Now my department is going through downsizing and they are letting me off; my question is being a disabled veteran (30% or more), do I have the right to claim veterans preference in excepted service or not? The Human resources office says I don't. I think I am being discrimated?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

With a With HR manager.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I don't belong to any union.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's about it.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/1/2018
Employment Lawyer: P. Simmons, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, what do you mean by

"claim veterans preference in excepted service or not"

Hi Sir. Do I have the right to claim veteran preference or the Army can just let me go.
Its alright Sir. I

The veterans preference will apply in the hiring process. But it will not apply for internal agency decisions (like, for example, if they are eliminating your position...the preference will not help

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Hi
Experts on this site (myself) are compensated ONLY if the customer (yourself) "rate" or "accept" the answer.

Do you have more questions regarding this?

Thanks for your understanding
Phil