Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can an employer force an employee to use Earned Paid time…

Customer Question
Can an employer force...

Can an employer force an employee to use Earned Paid time off on holidays that a business is closed

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

After the past Holiday of Memorial Day we received a memo that said we had to use PTO - I tried to call our HR and had to leave a message and they have not called back. We was initially told that we did not have to use PTO of it was a time when business was closed

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

I’m not sure what at will means but we are not union, hourly pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it legal for an employer to say that there can be no vacation or time of taken for a 2.5 month period

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is it depends. If the employer has listed those holidays as paid days off, then the employer cannot force you to use that time off as PTO. In addition, if the business is closed through no fault of your own, this is not considered a paid vacation day if you are a salaried employee. If you are an hourly employee, the employer doesn't have to pay you if the business is closed and you work no hours. Regardless, if the time off was already accounted for as a holiday, then you can't be forced to use that time.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?

Take your tome

Great news. Did you get a chance to see what I put? What questions did you have for me about that?