Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was given a separation package on Tuesday and when reading…

Customer Question
I was given a...

I was given a separation package on Tuesday and when reading over the paperwork says i would have 45 days to think it over but in reality its 2 weeks. I asked to negotiate and they said there no negotiations. The first group was voluntary and was given 2 weeks. Im in the second group and i want to know why im not entitled to get 2 weeks as well. I dont want to sign the paperwork if i know i can get 2weeks.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

HR only

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

They only targeted salaried positions

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No that was all other than i dedicated my heart and soul to them for 20 years and i think i earned a right to get 2weeks with everyone else

Submitted: 22 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Pheobe Clark, Lawyer replied 22 days ago
Pheobe Clark
Pheobe Clark, Lawyer
You are definitely entitled to send an email or written request to be treated equally as all other employees being separated in this reduction in force whether it is voluntary or involuntary. You can also request to know if those affected by the lay off were older with more years of service (& therefore higher pay) than younger employees.
If there is an issue of age discrimination you may be able to file a complaint with the EEOC about a discriminatory reduction in force/layoff
You usually can’t negotiate severance packages unless you make a claim that you are giving up your right to file a lawsuit and you are seeking compensation to cover the lost lawsuit opportunity.
If you think there is an unequal or discriminatory pattern in the way the people were chosen for separation, file a complaint with the EEOC or use this discrimination as leverage to negotiate a higher severance amount.
If I have adequately addressed your concern please reward me with a positive rating so that I may get credit for this session. Thanks!