Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was told only one creditor could garnish your wages at a…

Customer Question
Hello. I was told...

Hello. I was told only one creditor could garnish your wages at a time. Is this true?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the wage garnishment discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

My wages are being garnished already. I just got a notice saying there is another creditor that is going to garnish them , too

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just wanted to know if more than 1 creditor could garnish at the same time.

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Employment Law
5/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

There is no limit on the number of creditors that can garnish your wages; however, only a certain percentage of your wages can be garnished at any given time. If the first creditor is already garnishing the maximum permitted, then the second creditor must wait until the first creditor has been paid before beginning their garnishment.