Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I hired a contractor that did sub-par work, incomplete work…

Customer Question
I hired a contractor...

I hired a contractor that did sub-par work, incomplete work and was very mis-leading, once payment was received the contractor never came back to complete the work. what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

TX

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We've contacted the contractor and asked about a refund to hire someone to complete the job,we received no response

Submitted: 24 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 24 days ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract if they did subpar work and never came back to complete it. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. This applies even when there was no written agreement, but just an oral agreement between the parties. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract. It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court. This website is also pretty cool because you can download the forms right after purchasing. Click here to get started. What other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?