Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am being offered an employment contract for the new school…

I am being offered...

I am being offered an employment contract for the new school year at my preschool. The salary on the contract has been altered by whiteout. The salary under the whiteout can still be read. It was changed from $10,802.00 to $3,915 for the new school year. Is this valid? How do I address it to my employer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I haven't discussed this with my employer yet because she has but been at work since the Memorial Day weekend. This means my weekly hours will be changed to 8 hours a week, instead of the 20 hours a week based on the salary under the whiteout.

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I am not an at will employee. The contract states if contracted salary and time worked as well as job functions and locationsee can be changed upon number of students enrolled in the school in each priogram. It says this job is dependent upon suffice enrollment at the school and can be modified and with drain if necessary necessary. My school is at full enrollment capacity for thexample coming school year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

5/31/2018
Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Yes, such a contract can be valid. Law is not so hyper-technical that using white out on a contract would invalidate it.

Unless you had a contract of employment before that specifically guaranteed you a certain amount of hours and a certain salary forever, and indicated that it could never be changed from contract to contract, then it can be altered. The language that you indicated in your contract would give you power to make them pay a certain rate during a single period for that contract, but it would only last through the end of that contract. Each contract can be new and different.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Please DON’T rate my service until after you have asked any follow up questions that you have, so that I have the best opportunity to earn all 5 stars. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care, have a great day and please don’t forget to rate my service.

Thank you for your information.

No problem. Take care.

I have thank you for your information and need no further assistance. I have chosen to opt out of this site. Please do not contact me any more. Thank you, again.

I'm sorry, but I will have to send this last post.

When you don't accept the answer but you post another response as you just have, it tells me that I have an unanswered question that I have to address.

So, I'm sorry to inconvenience you, but you may ignore this post and just not post again yourself. Then you have opted out and I don't have an "unanswered question" on my log.

Good day.

Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer