Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I had an incident in work, while in a meeting with peers I…

Customer Question
Hi Pearl I had...

Hi Pearl I had an incident in work, while in a meeting with peers I stepped out of the meeting to take a call and one of the people in the meeting sent an email out from my laptop asking another peer If he wanted to talk a wlak on the beach holding hands implying I was gay. he sent out a second email implying I slept with my boss the night before. I am not gay and I don't cheat on my wife

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I think thjis is a violation of my civils rights, what do you think?

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

have my rights been violated where this person implied to another and a group of people were on the e mail that I was gay

Thanks for providing that. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It is likely that your rights have been violated. The law requires that a workplace be free from discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender. By suggesting that you are gay and sleeping with your boss, it seems as if they may be attacking your sexual orientation (even if you are heterosexual) and your gender as well. If this workplace has become hostile as a result, you could file a claim with the EEOC to investigate and possibly award you money or other damages. Have you take this to HR or your supervisor yet?

no, i not gone to hr

I see. I would probably start there and let them know that your rights have been violated under 42 USC 2000e-2. They will likely conduct an investigation on the matter. If you're dissatisfied or if it persists, you can file a claim with the EEOC.

By clicking here, It’s easy to find a local EEO office, so check that out.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help out with:-)?