Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Is it possible to find out if an association (Computing

Customer Question
Is it possible to...

Is it possible to find out if an association (Computing Research Association) has had EEOC complaints filed against it, or employment lawsuits, or complaints with DC Human Rights Commission?

Lawyer's Assistant: Was the EEOC case discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Don't know.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will. Salary. This involved an employee of several years ago. Asked to leave. Office lore is that she went to court. Settled. I'm trying to locate case details. Don't have employees employee's name. Just association: Computing Research Association

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm just trying to track down case and resolution.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

You can take a moment.
My question is simple so I'm not interested in up-charge deals. Just interested in finding out if this is public info I can assess.

Thanks for your patience. The system automatically requests the phone call not me; Regardless, it's not super easy to find these things because most EEOC complaints are private. They only become note private if they reach the court level. Because 90% of cases settle or stay through the administrative process, it's improbable that you'll be able to find any specific cases against this company. The only other way you could find anything is if you look at your local office of administrative hearings or you can click here to search the database to find out if they have had other cases against them.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

My understanding is that an actual suit was filed -- requesting damages. And that it was settled. Is there a way to find out details if the suit, in fact, was filed and settled?

Yes; you'd have to check the records in the county where this company was sued. Because lawsuits are public record, you can review them there. The judge may have some docs under seal; however, it's open to the public for you to view.

Is there a way to check records online? Or via Lexis Nexis? I assume suit was filed in Washington DC

Yes. Usually, you can check online, but not every county courthouse has that capability. Going down there is a surefire way to check the database. Lexis Nexis might have that information, but you typically have to have a law-firm level subscription to get details like that. Calling the court clerk for details can sometimes reduce how much time you have to spend.

Did you have any other questions for me today?