Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I work for a temp agency (manpower), my contract was for 1…

Customer Question
I work for a...

I work for a temp agency (manpower), my contract was for 1 year with a company called Ecolab. I was to work everyday on time I worked hard and I was let go without cause. There have been a lot of injuries at this company. In a meeting with the Vice President of the company he told us that if we needed to step away from our work to take a break then do that, rather than chance injuring our self. On Wednesday the 23rd myself and another permanent employee stepped out for a quick 5 min breather after being caught up with our work. The manager asked us what we were doing I acknowledged him and said taking a quick break the other employee did not acknowledge him. They fired me and suspended the other employee. My supervisor advised the manager this was a big mistake, as he and employees knew I was a very good employee. I would like to know if i have rights as a temp.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed the termination with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

There is one HR rep. and she will not talk to me nor give me a reason

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Employees and supervisors have spoke on my behalf and she will not respond to there request

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I do not belong to a union as this company does not have one

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
5/30/2018
Employment Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 2 months ago
Roy Hadavi

­­Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney‑client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: Unfortunately, employment in all 50 states and in D.C. is at-will. That means that either you or the employer can terminate the employment relationship at any time for any reason or no reason at all. The limitation is that employers cannot terminate an employee for an illegal reason, such as discrimination or retaliation for exercising an employee's legal right.

Your status as a temp employee does not modify these terms.

You have stated that your contract was for 1 year of employment. You should review your contract to make sure that it does in fact state that you are employed for 1 year (this is highly unlikely). If it does in fact state that you are employed for 1 year, then you would have a claim for breach of contract.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you, but hope it will not affect your rating of my service.

Rating & Additional Questions:

• Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions. Please ask me as many questions as you need. There is no additional fee.
  • If you ask a follow‑up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.
  • If you are dissatisfied with my response, please let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can "Opt Out" and your question can be re‑posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.
  • If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today.
  • A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.