Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I deposited a check written to my job but attention to

Customer Question
I deposited a check...

I deposited a check written to my job but attention to myself into my personal account. I cashed the checks to avoid a log drown out process of refunds at my place of work. While in process of refunding the funds, i transitioned to another place of work. I was unable to complete all duties before leaving and wanted to rectify the situation at my exit interview, which never happened so i was stuck with some cash I wasn't just leaving in my desk.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

No, So the client noticed that the funds went into a different account and got suspicious..reported it. Meanwhile my employer was terminating my email address access so I had no way to know if they contacted me prior. My Supervisor probably was oblivious to it all and now is not returning my calls

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

I do not belong to any unions, now a detective has requested to meet me and discuss the situation

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, so an officer reached out and contacted me I explained the situation, she suggested I contact my supervisor and resolve the situation. A day later a detective contacts me asking why I spoke to the officer, threatening me that I could be in serious trouble

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 day by:
5/31/2018
Employment Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 18 days ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 17 days ago
I would love to get an answer!!
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 17 days ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and welcome. It would be my pleasure to assist you, but I am a bit unclear as to what your actual question is. I certainly understand the situation, but what are you specifically asking?

Customer reply replied 17 days ago
if all money is returned, what can I be charged with
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 16 days ago

Thank you.

You could still theoretically be charged with embezzlement. However, by returning all the money as soon as possible, you certainly reduce the likelihood of your employer going to the police, as well as the likelihood of the district attorney choosing to prosecute. Very often in these cases, the DA will follow the wishes of your employer in terms of whether they want to see a criminal prosecution, and a lot of employers will not be interested in criminal prosecution once you return to them what is theirs.

I hope this helps. If there is anything else I can do for you, just let me know. It's my pleasure.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications, and the information provided is not legal advice.

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer